Peter B. Collins is a radio talk show host, voiceover talent, entrepreneur, and media consultant based in San Francisco, California. He currently hosts The Peter B. Collins Show, a syndicated liberal talk show based at KRXA in Monterey, California
Collins started in radio in Chicago in the 1970s, first covering the Watergate Scandal when he was 19 years old. He had a highly-rated nightly talk show at ABC-owned WLS-FM in Chicago. In 1976, he went to co-owned KGO in California. KCBS-FM hired him away a few years later to host their morning show, and he remained even after KCBS flipped to an album-oriented rock format as KRQR in 1982.
In 1989, Collins returned to talk radio with an afternoon program on KNBR, where he also co-hosted a daily one-hour food and wine show, featuring many acclaimed winemakers and chefs. Rival station KSFO hired him in 1993, also for afternoon drive, when that station adopted a talk format. Their billboard campaign back then endorsed his show as "a little to the left," playing on his politics and the station's dial position (560 AM). ABC Radio, owner of KGO, purchased KSFO in 1994 and eventually converted it to an all-conservative talk format, dropping Collins' show.
Since leaving KSFO, Collins has produced other radio shows such as "Childhood Matters" on KISQ and began working as a political media consultant.
Collins has lent his voice to hundreds of radio and TV commercials, as well as station promos for television and radio, non-broadcast sales and training programs, CD-ROM's and voice mail systems. He is also host of "Behind the Wheel", a new-car review show that airs on radio stations and on the Internet.
In May 2003, Collins returned to talk radio as host of All-American Talk Radio, which was heard on I.E. America Radio Network and Sirius Left, as well as via webcast. The afternoon show evolved into his current show, which started airing when he and other investors purchased KRXA in 2005.
Since 1986, he has served as board president of the Freedom Foundation, a nonprofit based at San Quentin Prison, which provides legal and investigative assistance to wrongfully convicted inmates in California. He is an officer of the San Francisco Local of AFTRA, the American Federation of TV and Radio Artists, and serves on AFTRA's national board.
Current show affiliatesEdit
- KKGN 960AM San Francisco, California
- KBBR 1340AM Coos Bay, Oregon live 3-6PM
- KGOE 1480AM Eureka, California live 3-6PM
- KRXA 540AM Monterey, California live 3-6PM
- KSAC 1240AM Sacramento, California, live 3PM-6PM
- KPOJ 620AM Portland, Oregon, repeats Saturday's and Sunday's 4PM-7PM
- KBSR 1490AM Laurel, Montana live 3-6pm
- KMPT 930AM Missoula, Montana
- Official Website
- Label for Peter_B._Collins at ltradio.blogspot.com
- "Collins proving left-leaning radio host can succeed" (San Francisco Chronicle)
- "Peter B. Collins To Launch Radio Free America" Bay Area Radio Digest
- Archives of the Peter B. Collins Show at White Rose Society
- Collins Media Services
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|