Here's what happened from 1949-1996.
1949-1995 1996-2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008
- 1949: first Pacifica Radio station (KPFA-AM, Berkeley, CA) goes on air
- 1960: commercial station WBAI-AM (New York, NY) is given to Pacifica Radio
- 1970: KPFT in Houston goes on the air and is bombed off twice during its first year by Ku Klux Klan attacks on its transmitter tower
- 1972: Pacifica Radio establishes Pacifica Radio Archive and Pacifica Program Service established in Los Angeles
- 1977: WPFW/Washington DC goes on the air, after winning a six-year competitive process for the last available frequency in the nation's capital
- 1979: Florida's first community radio station, WMNF (88.5-FM, Tampa, FL), goes on air
- 1981: WEFT (90.1-FM, Champaign, IL) goes on air
- 1981: KPFT/Houston becomes the first public radio station to broadcast special programs in 11 different languages, serving the multi-ethnic Texas Gulf Coast communities
- 1984: Rush Limbaugh returns to radio as a talk show host at KFBK in Sacramento, California, where he replaces Morton Downey, Jr.
- 1984: June 18: Alan Berg, liberal radio show host, is shot to death; members of neo-Nazi group, The Order, are eventually convicted of conspiracy for the murder
- 1987: Chuck Harder starts the Sun Radio Network in order to syndicate "For The People"
- 1987: FCC repeals Fairness Doctrine; Rush Limbaugh becomes one of the first to take advantage of this development
- 1988: Rush Limbaugh moves to WABC-FM in New York, which will remain his flagship station to the present day; his show is nationally syndicated
- 1989: December: Chuck Harder's liberal Sun Radio Network bought by Kayla Satellite Network (half-owned by conservative Liberty Lobby)
- 1992: Rush Limbaugh publishes The Way Things Ought to Be
- early to mid-90s: Chuck Harder's The People's Radio Network is on the air
- 1993: WEFT (90.1-FM, Champaign, IL) goes to 24-hour format
- 1993: Rush Limbaugh publishes See, I Told You So
- 1994: group of freshman representatives in Congress calling themselves the "Dittohead Caucus" declare Rush Limbaugh an honorary member of Congress